Saturday, June 27, 2009

Kindle 1 - yet to mature

I recently bought kindle 1 reader and have been enjoying certain aspects of it.
Some of my thoughts...

Pros:
1. Once you start reading on a kindle, your eyes seem to really forget that it is machine and feel more like reading from a paper (thanks to e-ink technology).
2. I also like the whispernet wireless which helps me download books from anywhere. Most of the kindle books have a solid sample chapter which you dont generally get to read before buying a paper based book.
3. Kindle books are cheaper by a significant margin compared to their paper counterparts.
4. Due to the easy access to several category of books, it is helping me to get on track with books other than tech / subject books.

Cons:
1. NO TOUCH SCREEN. I am sure Amazon is working on a touch screen version of kindle. If they are not ?? Nah, I dont think so. Amazon is smart. They should come up with a touch screen version.
2. I find it difficult to navigate pages. Like in a regular book, I would flip through and itz not all that simple here
3. Screen flickers when we move from one page to another. this is annoying.

Overall, I am glad to see the efforts taken to move out from paper but it sure has to mature a lot and hopefully in the years to come, Kindle would become more compelling. "Save paper, Save the Environment"

No comments: