Sunday, May 11, 2008

Trying out Parallels desktop for Mac

Since some of the my class lectures were not playing properly on Mac / Linux (due to some issue with the flash player), I had to use Windows or use flash 7 plugin on linux. After my move to Ubuntu, I couldnt get a flash 7 for Linux. With the recent announcement that Adobe has open-sourced flash, I hope this issues gets fixed soon. To listen to lectures, I thought of installing windows on my macbook pro. I was in a dilemma between bootcamp and a virtualization s/w. I finally decided on virtualization, since I dont have to reboot and could share all my mac/win documents. So I opted for Parallels desktop. It is a great product and it was running a Windows VM to near native performance. I didnt have any issues, I could listen to my lectures and could copy-paste across Leopard and XP. As ubuntu got released on Apr 24, I dowloaded a copy of kubuntu and installed it on parallels. It was not very supportive. I couldnt get full screen and was not able to change monitor settings and stuff. Basically, Parallels doesnt yet support (K)ubuntu 8.04 and it is frustrating. There was not much response from the parallels helpdesk forum. so I am planning to tryout VmWare Fusion. I guess i'll install a trial copy and then try out WinXP and Kubuntu 8.04 and if all goes well (Fusion claims official support for (K)ubuntu 8.04) i'll mostly switch over to Fusion

No comments: